Instagram

Thursday, October 18, 2018

The 2000 Nall Family Quilt

I've had a bit of a habit of posting genealogy stories and memories on Facebook instead of my blog. There seems to be more readers over there. Well, today, I came across this post in my memories and figured I should preserve it here on my blog. 

It's funny this was my memory, considering a conversation the hubs and I were having last night as we laid in bed waiting to fall asleep. The Mega Millions jackpot is now at a record $900M and we discussed our daydreams if we were to win the lottery, even though we haven't even bought tickets. I said that I would want a sewing room so I could make quilts. The older I get the more I find things like sewing, and crocheting less of a waste of time and more something productive I can do when I need to sit down and take a break. Something I can pass on to my children and maybe even grandchildren some day. It's funny how perspective can change in two short years.
When I was a young girl my Mammy and Grandma Nall tried to instill a love of hand sewing. I was given a little cookie tin to keep my thimble, needle, thread and fabric in and whenever they would get together I would get out my little tin. If my Bampy needed a button sewed on a shirt... out came my little cookie tin. I still keep a little tin packed full of sewing supplies today despite having BOTH of their nice sewing boxes that my Dad bought them one year for Mother's Day. So I decided to add all the contents of my little cookie tin into their sewing boxes and I came across this little treasure. In my great grandmother's handwriting, this is the pattern for our 2000 family quilt. For a few years, all the ladies of the family were instructed to make quilt blocks for the members of their immediate family and embroider names and birth dates on them and then Grandma Nall would make a quilt to be given away at the family reunion. I didn't get a quilt but I am happy to have this. 

P.S. Despite their best efforts - I really dislike sewing. I'll do it. But I don't enjoy it.





Grandma Nall with her son Bo and daughter-in-law Bette and our 2000 Nall Family Quilt

No comments: