Instagram

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Remembering The Ozarks -- The Spoke Plant Rock Throwers


Sometimes when I come across really great finds, I completely get caught up in the excitement and just share it on Facebook with family and friends and it never occurs to me to share it here on my blog. I really need to start sharing it here, and then share my post on Facebook.

A few years ago the following picture was shared with me on Facebook. It has so many of my ancestors and connected family in it. I didn't know the story behind the gathering of family and friends, but yesterday, I stumbled across this very photo, attached to a wonderful story written by Vernon Eaton, in his series 'Remembering The Ozarks'





Zula Stepp (in the headscarf) is my maternal great grandmother. Argie, Art, and Merle are my maternal grandmother's older siblings.

Now for the story!

The Spoke Plant Rock Throwers

*Article taken from Newspapers.com

Until next time,
Becky

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great article. I read it to mom and she smiled and laughed. I know it brought back great memories for her. She was their pitcher and Gene Williams hit the ball hard straight at her and hit her in the thigh. Art was afraid for her to pitch after that. Mom batted left handed and was always hitting the ball into the creek. They kept making her turn her body farther and farther around so the ball would stay out of the creek.

Becky said...

I love that her brother was so concerned for her safety! Maybe she is why you and the rest of your family are died hard Dodgers fans!