Instagram

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Goodbyes, Shared Memories and Pictures From Long Ago.




Last week my Great Aunt Frances passed away at the age of  95. She was my grandmother's oldest sister. There was eleven years between them but they were very close, in later years anyway. Frances lived in Texas and like I've written before, Mammy lived here in Arkansas. Mammy would make frequent trips to Texas to visit and there were occasional long distance phone calls that lasted forever (at least in the mind of a young girl who was instructed to be quiet while she was talking). I accompanied Mammy on a few of those trips back home to Texas. I remember very little, but I do remember Aunt Frances' house. There was mint in her back garden that Uncle John B took the time to show me. And the walls in the hallway of their home were lined with old photos.

Two of Aunt Frances' granddaughters reached out to me to share a few pictures they had come across while going through her things. I am beyond grateful that they would think of me in their time of sorrow.  Lisa sent me pictures of myself from the few trips I made down there. A few were from a trip to the nursing home where I along with Aunt Frances' grandchildren visited with Grandma Jones (attached below).  The others were from the trip my Nall family made in 1994 for Grandma Jones' funeral. I attached it to my blog post In Remembrance -- Myrtle Rutherford And there was even one of my Bampy and his air plane! I've attached it to my blog post The Big Move.

I'm in the bottom right corner. Mammy made my dress.

Today Elaina sent me pictures I have never seen before from my Mammy's younger (single digits) years. And of her Daddy, John Arthur Jones, who passed away when Mammy was only 4. I had never seen pictures of him until a few years ago and even then, I it was only one photo. 

I wanted to return the favor by sharing these pictures here so that others may have access to them for years to come.























I remember my Mammy talking about this "house on wheels." She wanted to move it up here to Arkansas so badly. I even remember her having us drive by where it was located on one of our last trips down to Texas. She never got that blue house, but I believe she did get a little trunk that had been stored inside it and it had lots of old flour sacks in it. I think. The memory can be a funny thing some times.






To those who read this, I hope you will enjoy the memories these pictures stir up. That you will cherish your loved ones while you can. And that you will always share any family memories, pictures, and memorabilia. This is how we can assure our loved ones stay alive in memories for generations to come.

Much love to you all.

Until next time,
Becky



2 comments:

Connie Shaw said...

I really enjoyed this post and pictures. I will share with George and Myrtie.

DK Watkins said...

Hi Becky! I love these photos! I messaged you on fb and after no response I realized you moved social media. Just wondering how you were and if you still wanted to rehome your “Musings” books. I’m still really excited. If you don’t respond back on fb messenger can you call or text me @ 479.244.0451 or email @ dkwatkins70@gmail.com. Thanks! Kim :)