Instagram

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Remember Me to Mrs. Hughes.


Yesterday I received a wonderful gift in the mail; a CD with pictures of several letters belonging to my Jones line. Most all of them are dated 1915 - 1917. I hope to slowly transcribe them and add them here to the my blog. I will start with this one, written Sept 1916, by Miss Lydia Pearl Brown. She was at one time employed by my 2nd great grandparents Mr. and Mrs. John Calvin Jones, to teach their children. She eventually married their son Thomas Franklin Jones 04 April 1918.

Frank Jones





4 Sawyer Avenue,
Denton, Texas 
My dear Mrs Jones,
I really don't remember whether I have answered your letter or not. If not, I am now. I am so glad to be settled once more. I never was so tired just going from one place to another in all of my life. Sister has her a real nice little home here and has it well furnished. She has everything except what is being shipped from home. We think they will come in tomorrow. We are only two blocks from the college and can look out and see the two main buildings. The college is on a high hill and can be seen from most any part of the Town.  
Denton is one of the busiest towns I was ever in for its size. Of course these two schools here is what gives them the trade. The business part of town is not very large but they have about 7,000 inhabitants.
I certainly wish it was so you could send Fannie Leigh and Emma here to school. Of course they are not far enough advanced yet, but when they do I consider this college here the finest we have in the South. Well, it is the only one of its kind in the South. If I happen to know bad luck. I think I will put in four years of hard study here. I have my course mapped out for that any way whether I succeed or not.
I'm expecting to get me a few pupils to bear my expenses. I have the promise of one and think I will have no trouble getting three or four more. That is as many as I can handle well and go to school too, as I am going to have a pretty heavy course anyway. 
Hope you enjoyed your trip up to Mr Jim's. Frank wrote me that you had gone up there for a few days.
How are you liking your new home by now? I know you enjoy it though for you feel as if it were yours and not someone else's and the time and work put out on it is not wasted. 
Now let me hear from you sometime. Pardon this terrible paper, but this is every bit we have in the house. It is the worst I have ever saw.  
With love to you and the children. Remember me to Mrs. Hughes . - Pearl
If you would like to view the actual letter you can do so by clicking the following links.

  1. Page one
  2. Page two
  3. Page three
  4. Page four
  5. Page five
Whomever had the letters after Mrs. Jones (Leona Bass) had a bit of confusion with the closing and thought maybe this letter was from Mrs. Hughes, who was John Calvin's mother. You can see their note scribbled on the back of the envelope.

I have written about Mrs Mattie Hughes here and here and here


Lona and Pearle at Bomarton, TX

Pearle mentions former pupils and future sister-in-law's Fannie Leigh and Emma. Here they are on the Coffman Ranch



I believe the college Miss Pearle is referring to in her letter is Texas Normal College, now referred to as UNT.

UNT's Digital Library






Corsicana Semi-Weekly Light Corsicana, Texas
Tuesday, April 4, 1916




Until next time,
Becky

2 comments:

happy_girl_24@livejournal said...

❤️ I love old letters. ~ Lisa @ Days

Adele said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.