Instagram

Sunday, November 26, 2017

The Great Listen -- Test

This year we celebrated Thanksgiving Day at my husband's parents' house and then with my mom on the following Saturday. While at my mom's house I sat down to interview her parents using an app on my phone called StoryCorp.   This app is very user friendly. You can use your own questions, or there is a multitude of questions they have for you to choose from. If you choose their questions they will pop up on your screen with a little check mark in the bottom corner for you to tap after that question has been answered. Then the next question will show up -- like digital index cards. Your interview can be as long as 45 minutes and I have found the audio to be pretty good quality. Once your interview is complete and you have given it a title, summary, and chosen a few tags/keywords/labels you can then choose to download it to your device or upload it to the StoryCorp website. Once it is uploaded to the website there is an option to share it and there is even an embed code to add to your own personal website or blog, which is something I am very excited about.

Whether or not genealogy is your thing, I encourage you to take the time to sit down and listen to your family members. Have your children interview you. Interview your children. Are you going on a long road trip? Pass the time interviewing one another.


I plan on adding a transcription as I get time. To listen to the interview from the StoryCorp website click here.



Until next time,
Becky


The Chillicothe Constitution 15 May 1936 Newspapers.com


Transcription:


Interviewer: This is Becky Drake and I am interviewing my Grandma and Grandpa Melson, Thanksgiving 2017 (Sat 11/25/2017). We are in Siloam Springs, Arkansas



Becky Drake: Ok. Grandpa, what was Thanksgiving like when you were growing up? And where did you celebrate it?


Leroy Melson: Always at my mom's house. Always good. Seems like we always had company.


Becky: So cousins came over?


Leroy: Her sister, Aunt Bea. You probably know about her


Becky: Yeah


Leroy: They were always there. Especially during the war, they was around us all the time, while Dennis was in the war.


Becky: Yeah


Leroy: We always had it together most of the time. They lived about half a mile up the road... quarter mile... half a mile... quarter and a half mile up the road (laughs).


Becky: Was this in Oark?


Leory: Eh, out on the mountain there, South of Oark.


Becky: Okay. Did Grandpa's family ever come or just Grandma's family? Did Grandpa's brothers or sister ever come?


Leroy: Yeah, Tobe and Annie, his brother and his wife, come once, once for sure, pretty regular, I can't remember how many times but they was there.


Becky: What kind of food did she cook? What kind of food did your mom cook, for Thanksgiving?


Leroy: Uhh, we had a pecan pie always.


Becky: Always had a pecan pie.


Leroy: Because we had a pecan tree out in the yard.


Becky: Oh really? Neat!


Leroy: I would gather them up, crack them, and she'd make 'em. She made them pretty..every little bit ... every time I wanted one all I had to do was crack out a couple of nuts and she's make me one.


Becky: Wow, that's great. What about you, Grandma, what was the first Thanksgiving you remember?


Reba: Really I can't remember any when I was at home that they was anything different than just a regular day. I don't think that we made a big thing out of Thanksgiving.


Leroy: After we got married I spent Thanksgiving at her house. They celebrated Thanksgiving (referencing the fact that they were married the day before Thanksgiving 1955).


Reba: Yeah sometimes


Leroy: Her mother (surely bound to before ?)


Becky: Your sister said you guys didn't celebrate birthdays much either, so you just didn't many holidays at all?


Reba: No


Becky: Huh, was that just your family or just that area or...?


Reba: None of my family did ya know momma's brothers or sisters and them, it just wasn't any different than any other day.


Leroy: I remember we always had pork of some kind Momma always butchered a hog right before Thanksgiving.


Becky: Yeah, I had read somewhere where a lot of people butchered their hogs right around Thanksgiving.


Reba: But after we got married, we celebrated it. And we would go over to Momma's and Daddy's a lot of times at Thanksgiving after we got married.


Leroy: And deer hunted.


Reba: Yeah


Leroy: That was when we lived in Tulsa


Becky: When you lived in Tulsa you'd go back and deer hunt?


Leroy: Yeah, during that Thanksgiving season. Three days. Got three days deer season.


Becky: What do you remember most about your mom, Grandma Bondell? What do you remember most about her?


Leroy: Ah, she worked all the time. SHe was busy all the time. And she'd always... I remember when I used to smoke... and hiding out smoking and she'd give me, she got to where she'd give me quarter so I could buy a pack of cigarettes.


Becky: Really? She would pay so you could have cigarettes? Wow.


Leroy: Cigarettes was 21 cents, 22 cents, and they'd have 3 pennies down the side of the package.


Becky: Really?
Leroy: Yeah. And uh, the machines, put a quarter in the machine and you get a pack of cigarrettes with 3 or 4 pennies in it up the side.