Instagram

Monday, November 13, 2017

Marriage(s)


Today's blogging prompt is once again coming to you from the Instagram photo-a-day prompt put out by Genealogy Girl Talks #brickwall

If you're a regular here you know I am not a consistent blogger and not even a consistent Instagram-er these days. Sometimes it feels like I've gathered up all the information I can find that can be proven that is within my financial reach. I've just recently had to cancel many online subscriptions, limiting my research even more. But let's not focus on the have nots but expand and dissect the haves, shall we?

I can remember years ago when I stared researching this branch of my tree. It started with my 2nd great grandmother Julia Emaline Bohannon. She was the second wife of my 2nd great grandfather, Benjamin Harrison Melson. Those who can recall him, called him 'Grandpa Harrison'.




I found their marriage license showing they were married 2 June 1912 in Johnson County, AR by his father Francis Marion Melson who was a JP.  Both resided in Oark. He was 22. She was 20.

Here's the part of the story you may not pick up on if you don't know to look for it. Or haven't been privy to some old time gossip. It was only a few weeks earlier on the 15 May 1912 that an unwed Julia had given birth to her eldest child, Odis Earl Melson.

You may have noticed earlier when I said she was the second wife of Benjamin Harrison. He was first married to a Miss Ethel M. Roberts. She was from Catalpa. They were wed on 7 June 1908. Rumor has it she gave birth to a child and the babe did not survive. The marriage didn't last and Grandpa Harrison moved on to another love interest. But he refused to marry Julia until he knew her child would survive. And luckily for those of us who descend from this union, the baby survived and at least 3 more children were born. My great grandfather Obie Zearl, another son, James Francis, and a daughter Della Marie.

But this isn't the marriage that first popped into my mind when I decided to write today. I want to go back one or two generations further. Try to keep up as I myself can get lost quickly with all the information I'm about to lay out.

Julia was the daughter of James Pleasant Bohanon and Oma Boen. This marriage was the first time I remember using my investigative skills as a genealogist.

In the 1900 Boston and Goodwill Townships of Madison County, AR Julia is listed with her parents James P and Oma. James was 45 born Sept 1854. Oma was 43 born Dec 1856. They had been married 20 years and she was the mother of 9 children. Only 8 surviving. Children living in the home were: Nathanial (Sept 1882), Mary L (Aug 1885), Sarah E (Feb 1888) Julie E (Oct 1889) Madamie (June 1893) and William J (July 1896). That's six children.

When I go to find the marriage record of "Pleas" and Oma I find a record in Newton County dated 30 July 1881 for a J P Bohannon (age 26)  to a Miss Oma Horton. (age 23)





When I began to search for Oma Horton born about 1856 I found the 1880 Newton County Census had an Oma Korton living with the Robert Mooney family-- household 64 family 67. Oma is grouped as household 64 family 68 with two young boys William T  (age 7) and John R (age 3). It says she is married (not widowed) but no other people are listed in this family group. These two boys adds her total to 8 children living. I'm not certain if the baby that died was a Boen or a Horton.

So what was Oma's maiden name and how is she connected to the Mooney's? Are these her parents?

There is a marriage record transcribed as Nely A Mooney to David Horten found on Family Search.  I believe it to be my Oma and her fist marriage.



When I added Oma's parents to my tree, Robert and Zilpha from the 1880 census, I discover something doesn't fit.

A marriage record shows up transcribed as W N Mooney and Zilpha Bowen

I believe the 'N' is actually an 'R' for William Robert Mooney. They married in Webster County,  Missouri, in 1865 when my Oma was 9 years old.




A little more research reveals that Zilpha was first married to James Boen and they had the following children. William Spencer, Sarah, Oma N, Christopher Columbus, and Nancy Emaline.

James died in 1862 and ten years later in Oct 1872 his eldest son William Spencer became the guardian of Oma, and Christopher Columbus and  three years later in September 1875 was appointed guardian of the youngest sibling Emaline. (records found on Family Search : Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979; Johnson; Guardian bonds and letters 1856-1913 vol A-C; images 154/496 & 171/496)

And yet all of this is still not what I had planned to write about in the beginning.

James 'Ples' Bohanon.

With a common name like James we can go back to that 1900 Boston and Goodwill Townships of Madison County, AR census. We know he is born about 1854 in Arkansas. And in 1910 you can find the family again living in the Mulberry Township of Johnson County household #14. Did you know that starting in 1910 you can often find a little number beside the 'M' for married indicating the number of marriages a person has had. And interesting enough this census shows that both James and Oma are on their second marriage.




I know that he and Oma married in 1881 so now to find him in 1880.

Strangely enough I find him (age 24) all the way up in Ozark, Lawrence County, Missouri married to a Perline Bohannon (age 44) and her father Elijah H Bohannon.(age 61)

Can that be right? His wife's maiden name was the same as her married name? And she is 20 years older than him?

A little more digging and I can find a marriage record out of Newton County, Arkansas for Perlinia W. Bohannon and James P. Bohannon (twenty years age difference) married in February 1875


Were James and Perlinia related? And how strange for a young man to marry a much older woman.

I can place young James with John J (1821)  and Julia E Bohannon (1833) living in Richland Township, Newton County, AR in 1860 with siblings Mary, Holly, Mira, William, Sarah, and Nathaniel.

And in 1870 living in Jefferson Township with his parents and siblings.


Perlina is found in 1850 living with her father Elijah and mother Lucinda and several siblings in War Eagle, Madison County and in Kings River in 1860 no record of the family at all in 1870.

Now finally here we are at the #brickwall.

James Pleasant Bohannon's father was John J "Ibe" Bohannon. His mother was Julia Elizabeth LNU. Records indicate that John was from White County TN the son of John Bohannon Sr. and Holly 'Holla' Bohannon. In fact John's middle name comes from his Uncle Pleasant Robinson who married his father's sister Lucinda Jane. The only  marriage record I can find for a John Bohannon and Julia Elizabeth are out of Roane County TN in 1842 to specifically an Elizabeth Easter who in later census records also goes by Julia E Bohannon I believe that to be a completely different John and Julia who end up settling in Missouri.


Julia Elizabeth was the daughter of ??? I believe she is the namesake of my 2nd great grandmother Julia Emaline Bohannon Melson and I would love to fill in the missing branches of her tree.

Julia Elizabeth married John J "Ibe" Bohannon:

Their children were:

Mary, Holly Louisa, Myra, William, Sarah Cazada, James Pleasant and Nathaniel Jobe.


Until Next time,
Becky Drake


No comments: