Instagram

Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Aquitania


For years I have been pretty disappointed about what little information I found available online through Ancestry and Fold3 about my WW1 ancestors outside of their draft registration cards. This afternoon, as I was desperately trying to think of something to blog about, I found myself, on the Family Tree Magazine blog where they mentioned something new/updated available on Fold3. They now have WWI Transport Service Records

I have found several ancestors and relatives' draft cards, but off the top of my head I only know for sure of one ancestor who actually fought in that war, My paternal great grandfather, Newell McKinley Stepp. I quickly entered his name into the database and voila, a hit!

My mother's first cousin Tarona interviewed my great grandfather in the 1980's, and asked him a few questions about his war service but he was older and difficult to understand. I definitely want to include her video of him though.



When Newell was 21 years of age, on the 5th of June 1917 he registered for the war.



I don't know when or where he did his basic training. I assume Fort Chaffee because of its proximity to his hometown, maybe my grandma or her sisters will know.

On 2 Nov 1918, my great grandpa, boarded the RMS Aquitania and headed to France. 



I also have a few pictures of grandpa in his uniform:



According to the paperwork, not quite two months after leaving the US for France, on the day after Christmas, Grandpa boarded the USS Georgia at Brest, France, and headed for home. (In his interview he stated he was "over there" about 6 to 6.5 months).




A homecoming was even printed in the local paper:
Fayetteville Daily Democrat 30 Jan 1919


In his interview he said he didn't shoot his gun at all overseas. I wonder what it was he did while over there.  He was one of the lucky ones. My son and I recently watched Saving Private Ryan. It at times is very difficult for me to watch. It portrays so well how war is tragic. Scary. And sometimes necessary. I'm grateful for those who willingly enlist today and for the families of those who have sacrificed their lives. I hope we all take the time to realize the cost of freedom and ask the same last words of Captain John H. Miller, that we "Earn it".

Until next time,
Becky

No comments: