Instagram

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Her Face


I don't always get around to posting a photo on Instagram for the #genealogyphotoaday challenges. I do post more than I blog, though. On the 22nd of this month the prompt was #face And I couldn't think of anything unique or new to share.

This month is National Letter Writing Month, my fellow blogging, genealogist, sister-in-law, recently started working for the post office, and has been encouraging us to write more letters. She is right. While packing and then unpacking I have loved coming across my stack of old letters from various people, mainly my paternal grandmother, Mammy. I have a few letters she wrote to me and at least one letter to each of my three children. One of the people I chose to write to this month was her eldest sister, Frances. Today, much to my surprise, and enjoyment, was her return letter. Tucked inside the folded pages she included this picture of her paternal grandmother, my 2nd great grandmother, Leona Bass Jones.




The only pictures I have ever seen of Leona before this one, were very tiny, grainy, black and white newsprint-like pictures that were printed in one of my favorite books, Between the Wichitas. You couldn't see the details of her face, only her small stature and her hair pulled back into a bun. On the back of this picture, Aunt Frances writes that Leona was only 4' 5" tall and that she was 1/4 Cherokee Indian. And that her Uncle Frank said that Leona had long black hair and black eyes.

In my research I have found her application into the Cherokee Indians, as well as those of her siblings and her father. They were all denied entry, stating, "It does not appear that ancestors were ever enrolled, or were parties to the treaties of 1835-6 and 1846. Applicant shows no connection with Eastern Cherokee "

Her paternal grandfather was Samuel Bass. His descendants with his first wife were granted citizenship.

Leona was the daughter of James Martin Bass and Margret Ann Miller. On 20 Oct 1881, she married John Calvin Jones in Cooke County, Texas.

Aunt Frances also tells me she herself was named after both her grandmothers, Ora Frances McClung and Leona Bass.

I plan on writing her to tell how far back I have found the name 'Frances' on her mother's side.

I hope this post encourages you to write to a few of your family members. Who doesn't love getting a letter?

Until next time,
Becky





No comments: