Instagram

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Flashback Friday -- Mischief

Today's Facebook prompt that I am bringing over here is:

What memory of you misbehaving stands out most in your memories? What did you do? What was your punishment?

My memory:

I was a DRAMATIC child. Always upset about something. When I was in about 3rd, 4th or 5th grade. I was living in Country Acres at the time --- that helps date the story. Anyway, I packed my bags, some saltines and cheese, an empty old Boy Scouts of America popcorn tin and some candles and matches and headed off into the woods behind my house to live. I was running away! It was cold in the evening so I melted the bottom of my candle and stuck it to the bottom of the tin to keep the wind from blowing it out. As time went on it became colder and I discovered that if I put the lid on said tin for just a wee little bit it would warm up and I could press it against my cheeks and hands for warmth. A little while passed and my little brother came into the woods to either rub it in that I was upset or convince me to come back but he got cold sitting out there with me too. So I showed him what I had discovered about the lid heating up, only I left the lid on a little too long and branded him with the logo on the lid! Sheer panic set in and I tried hard to think of a cover story. And to my great surprise he was more than willing to go along. We decided to tell our parents that we were outside playing with sticks and I was swinging mine around and accidentally hit him. At the time I didn't realize just how much the mark looked like the logo, only that it was a nice big red whelp. Well as time went on the swelling went down and the emblem really stood out. It didn't take long and they were on to us. I had to confess the whole ordeal. I honestly don't remember what my punishment was. But this is a story I'll never forget. Or be allowed to forget?

This is my mom's naughty child story:

One time I had a loose tooth. Mom said she was going to use pliers to pull it out. I was so scared that I ran away and hid in the corn rows in the garden. I could see everyone out looking for me but I wasn’t going to come out. Then I heard a neighbor say that they should call the police because we lived on highway 62 and they feared I had been picked up by someone. I decided it was time to come out before the search got any bigger.
My Aunt Diane shared this story:
I found chocolate candy bars in Granny's refrigerator. I offered my sisters a small piece. Reine wouldn't take it because Granny had said no candy in the house. Michelle took her part. I ate all that was left almost a whole bar. It didn't even taste that good. You probably guessed it was ex lax. The punishment was enough .

The hubs shared his story too:
The only thing that stands out isn't even a funny story. In eighth grade, I got caught at a football game with some marijuana. I was taken home and the next morning, I was in the police station in front of Don Kennedy, a local cop. He said that a girl I knew had already sold me out (and she probably had) but that since it was on school property and dad was the superintendent, he'd let the school deal with it. I was expelled. Mom called in a favor to the super at Grove and got me in there. The next year, I started back at Jay, tarnished reputation in tow.

Until next time,
Becky




No comments: