Instagram

Friday, July 6, 2018

The Sound of Her Voice

Growing up, I had a special relationship with my paternal grandmother, who we called Mammy. My parents divorced before I was a year old and my daddy got me every other weekend and a few long spells during the summer. The only "problem" with that was that he worked every Saturday at the Washington County Sale Barn, so he needed someone to watch me. That job fell into the hands of his parents, my Mammy and Bampy. It's funny how when I think back on my childhood it's the memories associated with that time that seem to stand out. I don't know why exactly, but I always assume it was because those moments were where I got the most attention or one-on-one time. It may have been doing chores or flat out working but I didn't have to share that with any other kids very often.

Anyway, when my Mammy passed, I was asked if there was anything I wanted. I didn't answer truthfully because honestly, I wanted ALL. THE. THINGS. But that wasn't realistic or fair. So I asked for her tapes. Every time the church we attended held a service, they recorded it, beginning to end. And my Mammy purchased every single tape, I bet. There were several boxes full. Through the years I have sifted through them and tucked in with those tapes was the best surprise ever; a few tapes that Mammy had recorded of herself singing (either making up songs or singing along with the radio), a few tapes where she sang specials at church (New Sulphur Free Will Baptist Church) and two other very special tapes...

Before the age of computers and cell phones people wrote letters and because my Mammy had left her home of Texas, where her mother and all of her siblings lived in the early 1960's the only other way to keep in touch was with a phone call. Back then, before cell phones, there were long distance charges to call outside of your local area and they were pricey. Towards the later part of my Mammy's mother's life, Grandma Jones couldn't read or write very well so my Mammy and her would exchange  recorded cassette tapes of conversations with one another. Hence the two other very special tapes. One of Grandma Jones that is labeled 'Mother's Last Tape' and one that my Mammy recorded to send Grandma Jones. I don't know if she never sent it, or if she somehow got it back after Grandma Jones passed away. But either way these two tapes were tucked inside with all those other tapes. They are some of my most treasured items.

I have shared these on Facebook, before, but I think I would like to share them here in my genealogy post.

I hope you enjoy hearing her voice again. Honestly, I tear up every time I listen. But sometimes the soul needs a good purge.

Until next time,
Becky





















Mammy Original:

Grandma Jones' last tape from the nursing home in Knox City, TX:

And last but not least My Mammy singing Far Side Banks of Jordan with Brother Glen Faulkner April 2001:






No comments: