Instagram

Friday, June 22, 2018

It's Blackberry Season


When I was younger, and my weekends were spent with my Mammy, there were several occasions where I was given an old plastic gallon size ice cream pale and sent down the road to my Great Grandma Willie Belle's. The bucket was to be filled will blackberries picked from the side of the road. It was about a 1.5 miles down the dirt road from Mammy's house to hers. Along the way was my Dad's land too and I would often grab a few sand plums from his fence row. Sometimes my berries were given to Grandma Nall and she would make jelly. The rest of the time it was taken back to Mammy and they would be washed and frozen for blackberry cobbler one Sunday after church.



I am lucky enough to be nearly surrounded by blackberries out here at Chigger Haven. This year I, with the help of Jared and Ashley, have harvested our wild blackberries 3 times so far. The first batch we just ate plain. The second I used to make a batch of delicious blackberry breakfast bars. This time I decided to skim some old newspapers for some unique recipes. I found a winner from The Akron Beacon dated 15 July 1939. The recipe was a submission from a local reader, Mrs. Gertrude Hensel. She was the prize winner and for the cost of 6¢ she would receive a Glenna Snow cookbook. She entered several recipes but the one I am making today is her Blackberry Pudding recipe. I added a bit of cinnamon to mine.... and used 1 1/3 cup of sugar.

 

There isn't a temperature or time for her pudding but a quick search online tells me that similar bread pudding recipes bake at 350° for about 40-45 minutes.

I look forward to trying her Blackberry Custard Pie next. The above little snippet is a perfect combination of both of my Dads. My Dad, Johnny, loves custard pie, while my Step-dad, Steve, loves bread pudding.

Here are a few pics from today:







Until next time,
Becky

No comments: