Instagram

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

My 10 Favorite Resources

This post is just as much for me as it is for you! There are a handful or resources that I am always using and then there are a few that have been very handy, but I don't need to use them very often. I end up forgetting what they were and have to scour social media for clues. I decided today that I would write a blog post about all the different sources I use. They are almost all free, though some will require you to have an account.

  1. Family Search: This site is very similar to Ancestry, only its free. There are often times I have been able to find actual images, not just transcribed records, on Family Search, while the transcribed information from an index is all that's available on Ancestry. I like that I can narrow my search down to individual states. There are also indexes on Family Search that I use often (like probate records) that aren't searchable per-se, but that can be clicked through, image by image, until you can find your record. Family Search will also let you know if there is record loss in a particular county which would explain why you know something is a fact but can't back it up with records. This most often occurs in counties that saw a lot of first hand battle during the Civil war when homes, buildings and whole towns were sometimes burned to the ground. 
  2. Bureau of Land Management: I love to look through the Land Patents listed on the BLM site and even using the map to get a better idea of where my ancestor lived.
  3. Buncombe County, NC Register of Deeds : I realize this resource is very specific, but if you trace your family back far enough, North Carolina, is a pretty big hub for Colonial History. This site not only has land records, but it contains a few marriage and death records as well
  4. Texas Land Grants: Again another State specific site but I have a HUGE amount of family from Texas. I have found land records on this site from at least 3 ancestors and if I ever felt like filling out the paperwork these would grant me access into the Daughters of the Texas Republic. 
  5. Newspapers.com : This is a paid for site and has been my favorite for newspaper archives. There are others out there and I have found some information in GenealogyBank's newspaper archives that weren't available on Newspapers.com. But I don't find their database to be very user friendly. 
  6. Chronicling America: This is a free site. I have rarely used it and can't really remember a time that I found anything but you may have better luck. 
  7. The Gateway to Oklahoma History: This is also a free site for Oklahoma newspapers, books, and various other collections. For free newspaper searches in the Oklahoma and surrounding counties from other states, I really like this site. It is exactly like the next resource on the list.
  8. The Portal to Texas History: Like I stated before. I have a vast amount of family from the great state of Texas. I have found many articles on this website that weren't found on the paid for Newspapers site.
  9. Missouri Digital Heritage: This website can sometimes be difficult to maneuver from the home screen. There are a few places I regularly search on this site. Missouri Birth and Death Records Database, Pre -1910  ; Missouri Death Certificates, 1910-1966 ; Missouri Provost Marshal Database, 1861-1966
  10. Fold3 : I love this site. It isn't just for your veterans. It contains Native American records, and Pension applications. These can sometimes contain a wealth of detailed information in the form of affidavits from neighbors, and family friends. They contain first hand accounts from people during that time period. In one such record an acquaintance of my 5th great grandfather spoke of going to the blacksmith  near the close of the Revolutionary War, and speaking with other men of the community about the turbulent times.
    ... I have a distinct recollection of one pertickular conversation that took place at Robert Grays blackmsith shop between said Upton and my self and Robert Gray. Under whom said Upton learned the trade of Gunn Smith. we were all speaking of the many trials and hardships that we went through during the revolutionary war all of us having served in said war .....
    And a non-direct line ancestor of my husband had letters from members of her community writing to complain that her pension was acquired by fraudulent testimonies and that her son(s) were using her pension to drink and lay around rather than support their mother. These are stories. Not just records. They paint the bigger picture and provide insight into the mindset of the people of a certain community and era. Or in the case of my 5th great grandfather let you know that he was a gun smith and that he learned the trade from a Mr. Robert Gray.
 With all these resources, the one thing I want you to understand is that genealogy isn't a quick click here and there. There is So. Much. Time. invested in researching. It isn't a quick hobby. And sometimes, it costs money. In having hard copies and viable records, more often than not, you have to pay for those records. And some genealogy sites are worth the subscription fee. It also takes creativity. Many records are filed under phonetic spelling using dialects. When you have an ancestor with the surname Lassater you have to think of all the various ways this name could be spelled -- Lasater, Lasatar, Lassiter, Lasiter, Lassator, Lasator.... you get the point) So when you think of people you know who research and share their information with you, keep in mind, like so many other labors of love, it does require investment of time and money. We do it for ourselves and all those we love. We hope you appreciate our efforts.


If you have a website you use often in your genealogy research and its not on my list, would you mind sharing it with me?


Until next time:
Becky Drake








No comments: