Instagram

Saturday, February 7, 2015

BULL Maiden Name Connection Theory... and so much more!

With Valentines Day approaching, this week's 52 Ancestors writing prompt is LOVE. This post won't necessarily be about love relationships, but rather about something I love.

As an amateur genealogist I love it when I find records and leads that produce a theory and in turn when researching those theories I find myself on the same trail as others who have gone before me. It gives me confidence in my efforts and in my theories and sometimes that provides such an exhilarating feeling and that keeps me in the genealogy game. If only for a little while longer.... which will prove beneficial if I'm to finish this year with 52 ancestors being researched and written about.

Now on to the post....

For years, and generations, and throughout all the different branches (or roots?) that stem from Joseph H. Conner and his wife Effie ( my 4th great-grandparents) has been this one repeated story - that Effie's maiden name was BULL and that she was of Native American heritage. The pictures that survive of several of her descendants within the first 2 generations seem to give plenty of evidence that there was Indian blood in their line, and at this time I can't prove anything more than that, but I'm getting pretty darn close to proving her name was in fact, BULL.

Effie and Joseph both seem to be brick walls as I haven't discovered who his parents are either. I am constantly finding myself coming back to this line and digging through any and all records I can find on their children and their lives in hopes that it will provide some sort of clue that will reflect back on their parents. For years the only records I have had of Joseph and Effie was the 1850 and 1860 census records from Taylor, Greene and Union, Webster, MO, respectively. Joseph can also be found in 1870 but it would appear that Effie had died by then.

This week I began laying out all the information I had on their son Thomas Conner because I was actually going to blog about him using the idea that I LOVE ancestors who leave so many records and information behind, because there is a lot on him via military records and a few newspaper obituaries that one of his descendants has been so kind in sharing. In going back to Fold3 and sorting through all the records I could find on him I decided to give another look at his brothers William and Joseph S, who alongside my 3rd great-grandfather and their brother-in-law Josiah Evans, were enlisted in the same unit: Co 'C' of the 8th MO Cavalry. When I got to Joseph's records it mentions that he deserted at Fayetteville, AR, January 4, 1863 and was placed in confinement at Springfield, Missouri, on February 12th of the same year. From there I began searching for military prisons in Springfield Missouri and found myself at the Missouri Digital Heritage site browsing through their Provost Marshal records. I never did find any records on Joseph S. Conner but what I did find would begin the best lead I've ever had!

On reel# F1621, frame# 0708, file# 11688 you will find that in February of 1865, Thomas, his brother-in-law Josiah Evans and a man named Richard Haynes, all of Hickory County, Missouri were charged with robbing Miss Sarah A. Ellis, citizen of Webster Co, MO, and of stealing various household goods from Mrs. A. E. Lee, citizen of Greene Co, MO.  (Click here for images).

This made me curious as to the relation of this Richard Haynes so back to Fold3 I went to search for his military records. There I found that he was born around 1806 or 1809 in Knox County, KY, the same place Thomas was born and I thought that couldn't be coincidence. Now this is where it will get all sorts of unorganized and blurry as it became an intense episode of genealogical ADD as the leads and theories started to mount. I found myself on the Ancestry message boards where a distant cousin of mine was requesting marriage record information for the surname BULL in Knox Co during a certain time frame. One of the records revealed a Richard Haynes married to a Nancy BULL and ...


WAIT! In trying to find that record.... it just led to the MOST awesome discovery... this family is somehow also tied to my Josiah EVANS.... give me a minute to regroup... I'll be back in bit....

Forgive me:
I'm going to place this here because this week has been a flood of information for the following surnames: Conner, Bull, Evans, and Haynes. I'm having trouble keeping it all straight.

In the 1860 Washington, Taney, Missouri, census, household 635, we have Richard and Nelley Hains with their son Stephen (8) and Thomas Ivans (19) Flemming Ivans (17) Peggy Hammons (5) and Nancey Hammons (3)

Thomas and Flemming have long been suspected by me to be brothers of Josiah Evans. Also of note is how the census taker spelled their names *Ivans* instead of Evans as he did with Josiah and Jane (Conner) who were living two houses down as household 637. ---Living with Josiah and Jane is the suspected baby sister of Josiah, Margaret J. Ivans.In the 1850 Knox County, KY census, household 315, we have Richard and Nelly living with Richard's mother Dorcus and a William Evans (20) b. in KY. 

Before now, I've not had William in my tree... but I suspect he too would be a brother of Josiah.
__________________________________________________________________________Okay back to my story.... turns out in my ADD state I can't find my record for Nelly's last name being Bull. I did find in Knox Co. KY, a John Bull Jr. married to an Eleanor "Nelly" (Collins).  Which leads me to assume that they would name a daughter "Nelly" ... another theory I came across this morning, from a woman named Connie, is that John's brother Richard Bull married to a Fanny Bray could've had a daughter named Nelly Bull after a "favored aunt" Nellie (Collins) Bull.

Though I haven't found a record (or I can't remember where I found it) a google search has the marriage info for Richard Haynes and Nelly (Bull) as 27 June 1847, Knox County, KY. And a newly found email friend and Bull Family researcher, Kent McMahan, sent me a link to a transcribed page for Knox County, KY marriage records. It lists the afore mentioned date with Richard Haynes as the groom but the bride is blank.

Both Mr. McMahan and I favor the following theory as to our Effie's BULL line. We believe it to be very likely that John Bull who married Nelly Collins and Richard Bull who married Fanny Bray to be Effie's brothers. Leaving the likely hood of Effie's father to be John Bull Sr. and Nelly the wife of Richard Haynes to be Effie's niece.

More evidence to support this theory is the fact that Effie's son William Conner gives his birth location as Hendricks County, IN, in his Civil War records. Keeping in mind that William was born around 1830, when searching the 1830 census records we can find John T. Bull age 50-59 (Effie's brother?) heading a household in Morgan County IN and John T. Bull age 20-29 (Effie's nephew?) heading his own household there as well. Hendricks County is directly above Morgan County.

Now to connect Richard Haynes to the Evanses: Richard is the son of Joseph Haynes and Dorcus Overton. From Mr. McMahan's database notes I learned that Joseph had a sister named Sarah who married John Evans. Further research led me to discover that Sarah and John were the parents of James Evans who married Nancy (?) the parents of Josiah Evans.

One more piece of  information to note (that I can't find a record for) is from a cousin from my Joseph H. and Effie line, Darlene Ply. She says, "I found a warrant transfer of 50 acres from John T. Bull to Joseph Conner on Clear Creek in Knox Co. KY. The land was bounded by William Evans, Richard Bull and John T. Bull. It was signed 10 Sept.1827 by John T.Bull."  I'm not entirely sure what 'bounded' means but Wikipedia leads me to believe it means something along the lines that the boundary of said 50 acres was shared with William Evans, Richard Bull and John T. Bull.

There are several records for these four gentlemen indexed on Ancestry... but I'm not certain if the 'bounded' property would also share the same watercourse?

I have found indexed land grant records for Joseph Conner surveyed 29 Aug 1825 for 50 acres on Little Clear Creek, Knox County, KY in Book 'X', John Bull surveyed 7 Jan 1825 for 150 acres on Little Clear Creek in Book 'B', William Evans surveyed 25 Sep 1829 Br Little Clear Creek in Book 'X'.

I know this posts has a lot of information to take in and I do hope its of some use to those out there researching Effie's origins. Though there are parts that are just theory there are enough records mixed in that I feel pretty good about those theories.

And to think it all started with records from the Provost Marshal.... just a reminder to search in every nook and cranny and ask as many questions as you can... and to make sure to reach out and help out fellow researches. This is a group effort. That's what family is for... even if you're so distantly related it would take a chart to figure out you're exact relation :)

So in answer to my question as to how Richard Haynes fits in with Thomas Conner and Josiah Evans. He was Thomas' cousin-in-law and Josiah's first cousin once removed.

*** Josiah's full name was Joseph Josiah Evans.... he is listed as Joseph with his family in the 1850 Knox County census.

*** Since first publishing this post, I've been documenting the Haynes family a bit more and I wanted to make note that while Richard Haynes did have Military Records from MO and was from Knox County, KY - it would appear that his brother's James M. and Ephraim also made the move west to MO and each named a son Richard.... I can't be certain of these (3) Richard Haynes - which was brought up on charges with my Thomas and Josiah. This I do know, Thomas was b. 1834ish; Josiah was b. 1839ish. Richard Sr. was b. 1808ish his nephews Richard (belonging to his brother James) was b. 1856 - ruling him out, I would think... but Richard (belonging to his brother Ephraim) was b. 1841 making him, IMO, the more likely companion of Thomas and Josiah.

And please be sure to check out what my sister-in-law has to say on the topic of love over at Days of Our Lives.

Until next week,
Becky

No comments: