Instagram

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Recipes - The Gift That Gives For Generations


Don't you just love the gifts from grandmothers and great grandmothers that give for years to come. Today's photo challenge/prompt is recipe. I have the handwritten recipe for chocolate gravy that my great grandmother gave me that I talk and post about often, that is a treasure of mine. I'll probably pass it down to my son, because he is very comfortable in the kitchen and loves Chocolate Gravy - my girls don't care for it.



I recently asked for and was given hand written recipes from my maternal grandmother, Grandma Reba, one of which is the featured picture for today's prompt on Instagram. And one from her mother-in-law my great Grandma Bondell. Ashley will most likely get Grandma's buttermilk pie recipe because it's her FAVORITE pie ever!




I also have a few cook books that Mammy gave me before she passed away.  Written on the front cover of one of them that was so worn from use, she wrote me a little note. That cover has now completely fallen off because I have turned to this cook book several times since. These cookbooks were compiled by several of our area churches and the Women's Auxiliary and have recipes from Mammy, my Grandma Nall, and several of the ladies I remember from New Sulphur church.
Mammy and I would often watch Anne of Green Gables on AETN when it would air. Since she had me every other weekend for 12 years she saw herself as my Marilla Cuthbert and I was her Anne with an E.

Throughout this book there are recipes she has marked "good", "best", or "I like" beside and thought I'd include them as well.


Chocolate Pie by Sue Nall (Mammy)

1 1/2 c. milk
2 egg yolks
3/4 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
dash of salt
4 level Tbsp. cocoa
2 tsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine milk and egg yolks and stir over heat. When hot, add a mixture of sugar, flour, salt and cocoa, stirring all the time. When thick, remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Stir and pour into baked pie shell.



In the same book she has the following pie crust recipe circled with "I like" written beside it.

Pie Crust
by Norma Brockman (She and her husband were close friends of my grandparents. They would host deer meat dinners and things like that at their "chicken house" and the Deacons and their wives would attend)

4 c. flour
1 1/3 c. Crisco
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt

Mix together:

1 beaten egg
1/2 c. cold water
1 Tbsp. vinegar

Pour this mixture over first mixture and mix well. Cover and let chill 30 minutes before rolling. Makes about 5 crusts to be used now or to freeze and use later. Roll and but in foil pie pans. Put in Zip Lock bags to keep in freezer until needed.



The following pie crust recipe is marked "good".


Never Fail Pie Crust

by Midge Elington

3 c. flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. Crisco
1 egg
5 Tbsp. cold water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in Crisco. Beat egg with water and vinegar, thenmix into first mixture until a large ball is formed.

This will make 4 single crusts or 2 double crusts.



The following is my Daddy's favorite! Made by Grandma Nall

Egg Custard
by Willie Nall (Grandma Nall)

3 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
nutmeg and butter

Beat eggs, do not over beat. Add sugar, milk and vanilla, mixing well. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle top with nutmeg and butter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Place pan of water in bottom of oven.

I can remember Mammy making the following. In her old cook book it is circled.

Orange Fluff

by Maggie Bagwell

1 large carton cottage cheese
1 box Cool Whip
1 box orange Jell-O
1 can Mandarin orange slices

Mix all together and serve.

Note: Can change last two items to whatever you want. (I think I remember her using green jell-o but I can't remember any specific fruit...it may be b/c she didn't use any I just can't remember.)

The following recipe is circled and marked "good".

Enchilada Dinner

by Wanda Meeks

2 pkg. hamburger
1 medium onion
1 can mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can mild enchilada sauce
1 can green chilies
1 large can milk
1 pkg. Fritos
Cheddar cheese

Brown meat and drain, chop onion. Mix together in bowl crush Frito in bottom of oblong cake pan and pour ingredients over the Fritos. (Spoon mixture over the Fritos until covered.) Sprinkle grated Cheddar cheese over the top. Bake at 475 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes.



Chuck Wagon Beans
by Willie Nall (Grandma Nall)

2 c. pinto beans
1 large onion
1 hot pepper
1 lb. hamburger meat
2 or 3 Tbsp. chili powder
salt to taste

Cook beans until tender, adding enough water to make good soup. Add other ingredients and simmer until meat and onion are done and bean soup is fairly thick. If pressure cooker is used cooking time will be much less.


Graham Cracker Roll
by Sue Nall (Mammy)

48 graham crackers
1 box dates
1 pkg. miniature marshmallows
2 c. broken pecans
1 can condensed milk

Mix all ingredients well. Form into 2 rolls and roll in graham cracker crumbs. Place in waxed paper and chill. When chilled thoroughly, slice and serve.

Homemade Rolls
by Willie Nall (Grandma Nall)

1 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
2 tsp. sugar
1 c. warm water
2 c. scalded buttermilk
2 Tbsp. shortening
4 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
flour

Put yeast in 1/2 cup warm water with 2 teaspoons sugar. Let set for a few minutes. Then add 1 cup warm water and enough flour to make good batter. Let set until it rises and is bubbly. Then add warm buttermilk, shortening, sugar and salt and enough flour for stiff dough. Mix well. Put into large greased bowl and let rise until double in size. Punch down and kneed until dough feels elastic. Make into rolls and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

If you don't have any buttermilk on hand, the following recipe for rolls was circled.

Favorite Rolls
by Lucille Johnson

2 c. real warm water
2 pkg. dry yeast
2/3 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. shortening
6 c. flour

Mix together. Cover and put in refrigerator overnight as soon as made. Take out and roll out like biscuits to 1/4-inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter and fold in half. Put lots of butter in pan and cover the roll in butter on both sides. Let rise. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. (I can remember Mammy using this recipe to teach me how to make rolls.)



The following recipe for cobbler has "good" written beside it.

Quick & Easy Peach Cobbler
by Lila Ruth Roles

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2/3 c. milk
1 qt. sliced fresh or canned peaches
2 tsp. cornstarch
3 Tbsp. apricot Jell-O

Melt butter in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Combine sugar, flour, baking powder, and milk in mixing bowl; mix well. Pour melted butter over sugar mixture. DO NOT STIR. Arrange peach slices evenly in baking pan. Add cornstarch and apricot Jell-O to peach juice and pour over peaches. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until done.

The following recipe for sugar cookies is marked "Very good. Makes lots".

Sugar Cookies
by Blanche Bradshaw (I remember she was always affectionately called 'Granny Blanche' - and was one of the more senior members of our congregation)

1 c. shortening
1 c. oleo
1 c. white sugar
1 c. powdered sugar
4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
small amount almond extract

Mix together and roll into balls. Flatten with glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 degrees about 12 minutes. May sprinkle with sugar and flatten with hand.

The following recipe for sheet cake has a check mark by it and the page is stained to show it must of been used often.

Cinnamon Chocolate Sheet Cake 
by Sue Taylor

2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 c. shortening
1 stick margarine
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 c. water
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar and flour together. Mix cocoa, shortening, margarine and water, bring to a rapid boil. Pour over flour sugar mixture. Beat until smooth; add other ingredients. Bake in oblong pan 30 to 40 minutes at 350 degree. Make frosting 5 minutes before cake is done.

Icing:
1/4 c. cocoa
1/3 milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 stick margarine
1 box powdered sugar
1 c. nuts

Bring to a boil: milk, margarine, and cocoa. Remove from heat and add add sugar, nuts and vanilla. Ice cake immediately, while still hot.


The following recipe for cobble is marked "very very good"   It is also my go-to cobbler recipe. I sometimes substitute the flour, salt & baking powder for 1 cup self-rising flour. And if I'm using store bought canned fruit I don't add the 1/2-3/4 cup sugar.

Country Cobbler
by Shirley Spurlock

1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
2 c. fruit of your choice (blueberries, blackberries, peaches, strawberries)
1/2 to 3/4 c. sugar

Combine butter, 1 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, milk; blend well. Pour into a deep, 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Combine 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (depending on sweetness desired) with berries. Pour over batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.


Oatmeal Cake
by Sue Nall (Mammy)

1 1/4 c. boiling water
1. c. oats
1 stick margarine
1 c brown butter
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda

Pour boiling water over oats and let stand. Cream sugars, eggs and margarine thoroughly. Beat well and stir in vanilla. Sift dry ingredients, add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Bake at 350 degrees until done.

Icing:
1 c. Pet milk
1 c. sugar
3 egg yolks
1/4 stick oleo
1 c. chopped pecans
1 1/2 c. angel coconut

Combine milk, sugar, egg yolk, butter and vanilla in pan. Cook over medium heat until thick. Add pecans and coconut. Beat until smooth and spread on cake.

The following recipe was hand written on an index card and taped to a plate as a present to me one year for Christmas from Grandma Nall. (I posted it in yesterday's blog as well)

Chocolate Gravy


3 cups of milk
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add dry ingredients together. Pour into milk and cook over slow heat until thick. If too thick add a little more milk. Real good on a cold day with hot biscuits and butter. If larger amount is needed double recipe.

My FAVORITE thing that Grandma Nall made was her Mincemeat Pie. YUMMY!! Recipe follows:

Pear Mincemeat
by Willie Nall (pg 31 of "Cook Book; Favorite Recipes From Our Best Cooks")
Fun Fact: This is a pie filling - a dessert. Because of the name 'mincemeat' the people who put the cook book together placed it under the heading: Main dishes - Egg, Casserole, Cheese, Pasta. Since I'm the only one in my family who cares for this, and while I'm not above doing so, I don't usually make entire pies just for myself; I have used it as an add-in to a warm bowl of oatmeal or on my pancakes. 

7lbs pears, cut up, not peeled
1 orange, not peeled, cut up
2 lemons, not peeled, cut up
2lb raisins, 1/2 ground, 1/2 whole
5 c. sugar
3/4 c. vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
2 lb oleo (this must be a typo - I think it should read 2 Tbsp)

Cook 30 minutes and seal in hot jars.

I wanted the above recipe for years and when I finally got it, I was so disappointed. It wasn't going to be an easy thing to make. I was discouraged and resigned myself to the fact that I would never again be able to taste one of my Grandma's mincemeat pies... Then a few years ago my son went to help my father-in-law move from his farm in Southwest City, Missouri, and he came home with an ice cream bucket full of wild plums. The urge to recreate another childhood memory of Grandma Nall and how she would make me plum jelly from the wild plums that grew in my daddy's fence row, overcame me and I plunged feet first into home canning. After that batch of jelly was a success and a few others to follow I broke out her recipe and canned 7 pint jars of mincemeat. I only have one jar left. So next year - I'll need to can some more.



Other memories of recipes I have are the fact that my Mammy would always snip out little recipes here and there that she found in magazines, newspapers, or even coupon flyers. She had a drawer in her kitchen that was loaded down with these snippets. I mean the drawer would hardly open!!  She loved to cook and try new things. I even have a recording she made for her mother where she talks about learning how to make peach cobbler in a crock-pot. It must've been when crock-pots were fairly knew.

My Mammy lived in Arkansas and her mother lived in Texas. Because of Grandma Jones' arthritis and failing eye-sight they would mail each other audio tapes instead of letters.

To have a listen click here.The crock pot story starts at about 1:25

Do you have any family recipes? Even if it's not handwritten is there a dish that you remember an ancestor making? I'd love for you to share them. I'm a bit like my Mammy when it comes to food. I love it. I enjoy trying new things and have a love for anything "old".


Also - if you read in the comments - @travelgenee is wanting old recipe's to use for a future blogging challenge of her own. Check out her post here.

1/06/2019

My cousin Angie Eagle shared this recipe from Grandma Nall from one of her cook books



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky, loved your post based on the #genealogyphotoaday challenge. I don't know if you saw my Instagram post as I am collecting recipes for the A to Z blogging challenge next April 2017. I would love to include one of yours with links to your blog. I liked the last recipe, pear mince as I have never seen anything like this before.also used you jars image. I'm @travelgenee on Instagram. There is more on my blog. http://travelgenee.com/family-history-recipes/ If you can't be bothered filling in the form it's ok as I can write a sentence or two from your blog. Really hoping this is ok and thanks in anticipation. Regards Fran